Phillips/Pilkington Architects Pty Ltd
We are a medium sized design-oriented practice, operating in Adelaide since our foundation in 1992. We have developed a strong portfolio of high quality design outcomes across many local government, primary/secondary schools, university, public housing and private housing commissions. Completed projects include libraries, art galleries, offices, research greenhouses, animal keeping facilities, tourism accommodation, inner-city public housing, gymnasiums, visitor centres, public art installations and aboriginal cultural centres. Much of our work has been located in regional and rural ares where we have responded to the local ‘sense of place’ with appropriate ESD and material considerations.
Phillips/Pilkington Architects Pty Ltd on Google Maps
University of Adelaide Plant Accelerator
Waite Campus, Urrbrae, SA, 2009
A major new research greenhouse, undertaken in association with H2o architects, provides over 4000sqm of automated and regular greenhouse accommodation. Special scanning and analysing equipment enables researchers to more rapidly assess which particular plants are growing best. The building is a spectacular combination of white colorbond cladding, clear plexiglass and aluminium framing, structural timber and plywood finishing panels, with painted ruby red floors. In a water-intensive building, an extensive ESD agenda recycles nearly all of the waste plant and irrigation water and collects and stores all the roof water. The building has been carefully benched into its diagonally sloping HIlls Face site, providing lower level office, foyer, laboratory and mechanical plant areas, serving the first floor research greenhouses with their robotic and automatic plant conveyors and scanners. The rich IT stream is processed locally for distribution around the world.
MADEC Wesley Centre
Mildura, Victoria, 2007
An existing heritage octagonal church dating from the 1910’s was required to be added to to create a single main office for the Mildura and District Education Committee. Incorporating the administrative headquarters, a call centre and job centre as well as boardroom and community meeting rooms, the two-storey building provides a modern workplace for 90 employees. A composite of many geometries and external materials, the project responds to its rural and civic setting by providing design references to its historic neighbour, the main street, the agricultural heritage of Mildura and the tough climate with a palette of robust and distinctive shapes, colours and materials. A strong ESD agenda is evident with large internal thermal mass provided by rammed earth, a light-filled two storey atrium, extensive use of recycled timber and extensive use of structural timber which minimised steel usage.
Seymour College Performing Arts Centre
Glen Osmond, SA, 2009
This competition-winning project was based on the premise of retention and adaptation of the existing 1950’s Hall to create a new drama and music centre for this inner Adelaide girls’ school. But it has also become the heart of the school, with the retractable seating for 300 providing a multi-purpose flat floor for gatherings, dinners and special events. A tight site meant clever planning was needed to squeeze as much useful space as possible from the usual equally tight budget. A top-lit, double height atrium/entry space preserves the sense of the existing east facade, whilst bringing daylight deep into the space. Existing adjacent significant Moreton Bay Fig trees were carefully planned around and provide much-needed northern summer facade and window protection. On the south side, the wrap-around foyer provides direct access to the nearby courtyard. New high windows minimise daytime use of lights and plywood feature wall and ceiling lining panels generate a warm and distinctive interior.