Clive Lucas Stapleton & Partners
Clive Lucas, Stapleton & Partners Pty Ltd, established in 1970, is a multi-award winning firm of Sydney based architects which specialises in restoring and adapting historic buildings, conservation planning and preparing heritage assessments. To undertake this work, our practice employs highly qualified and talented staff including architects, draughtspeople conversant in both traditional drawing and CAD technology, and a historian. The current partners are Clive Lucas, Ian Stapleton and Sean Johnson.
Driving directions to Clive Lucas Stapleton & Partners on map
Clive Lucas Stapleton & Partners on Google Maps
Darling Point, 2012
Swifts is a Victorian castellated mansion designed in several stages by architect G. A. Morrel. It reached its present size of over 50 rooms in the 1880s. It was built for brewer Sir Robert Lucas-Tooth Bt. and then owned by the other major Sydney brewing family, the Resches. Between 1964 and 1984 it was the Sydney Catholic Cardinal’s residence but when the Church sold it in 1984 the house fell into disrepair. By 1997 it was in a perilous condition. The restoration for a private house has involved extensive stone and roofing reconstruction and interior decorative paintwork restoration of the most elaborate kind. The interiors of the house are now the most detailed Victorian-period interiors in Australia.
Boyhood home of Sir Donald Bradman
52 Shepherd Street, Bowral, 2012
52 Shepherd Street is a good example of a late Victorian weatherboard country town cottage. The house was built in 1890 and has been occupied by numerous families over time. However, it is most notable for having been a childhood home of the legendary cricketer, Sir Donald Bradman. The property has been restored to interpret its historic associations. The work involved substantial repair for use as a guest house for cricket enthusiasts including reconstruction of the famous tank stand and tank and part of the split-rail fencing where Bradman honed his batting and fielding skills.
Old Medical School (Anderson Stuart Building)
University of Sydney, 2006
The Anderson Stuart Building has been in continuous use by the Faculty of Medicine since 1889. It was constructed to the design of Colonial Architect, James Barnet, and added to by the University’s architect, Professor Leslie Wilkinson. By 2005 the building’s external envelope was in urgent need of repair. The works included new slate roofing, flashings and box gutters, reconstruction of fleche, repair and re-pointing of stonework, installation of lead weatherings, window repairs, a new authentic colour scheme and sympathetic entry for disabled people.